Igreja da Consolação (EN)

A church founded in 1799 and elevated to a parish in 1870. The current building dates from the early 20th century, and was designed by the German-born Maximilian Hehl. The building highlights include a huge tower and, inside, the high altar brought from Paris, as well as important works by 20th century Brazilian artists, such as Benedito Calixto. A beautiful German mosaic of marble is on the floor of the high altar.


– The architect Maximilian Hehl, responsible for the church’s design, is also author of the design of another big icon of religious architecture in São Paulo: the Catedral da Sé [Holy See Cathedral].

– The churches of Santa Cruz das Perdizes [Holy Cross of the Partridges] and Santa Cecília [Saint Cecilia] were at one time subordinated to the Igreja da Consolação [Consolation Church].

– Igreja da Consolação [Consolation Church] was subordinated to that of Santa Ifigênia [Saint Ephigenia], while majority of the churches from the 19th century served the Sé Cathedral.

– The land where the church is located belonged to Dona Veridiana Prado, Brazilian aristocrat and intellectual who marked the cultural life of São Paulo of her time. She lived between 1825 and 1910.

+ Information

Address: Rua da Consolação, 605

Opening hours: Mondays, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.; Tuesdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Wednesdays, from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.; and Fridays, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.