Praça Dom José Gaspar (EN)

In the late 19th century, Baron Souza Queiroz’s farm was alloted, giving rise to the Avenida São Luís area. This square was opened in 1949 – the only remaining open space of the original farm – named in honor of the Archbishop of São Paulo killed in 1943 in a plane crash. Initially occupied by mansions, this area began receiving in the 1940s the buildings that form the current landscape – some of them are renowned works of modern architecture. Here, the second largest library in Brazil is located: Biblioteca Mário de Andrade. Around the grounds, we can find several sculptures, including Dante Aligheri, by Bruno Giorgi; Camões, by José Cucé; Cervantes, by Rafael Galvez; and Goethe, by Tao Sigulda.

Curiosities:

– The priest Dom José Gaspar organized the design for the Basílica de Aparecida [Basilica of Aparecida city].

– The Dom José Gaspar Square hosts the Piano na Praça [Piano at the Square] project, which the proposal is to create moments for the audience to enjoy, free of charge, the sound of the piano played by classical and popular music artists.

– The Square has recently been given new landscaping, with the purpose of keeping up with the renovation of the Biblioteca Mário de Andrade [Mário de Andrade Library], which was reopened to the public on January 25th, 2011.

+ Information
Follow!

Location: close to República metro station.