Viaduto Santa Ifigênia (EN)

Designed by Italian Giulio Michetti and Giuseppe Chiappori, the Viaduto Santa Ifigênia was opened in 1913, manufactured and imported from Belgium and only assembled here. Made of metal frame with Art Nouveau features, it connects Largo São Bento and Largo Santa Ifigênia. In late 1970s, after a renovation, the viaduct was limited to pedestrian traffic.

Curiosities:

– The Overpass was the one responsible for the first financing contracted by the city. Alleging that the city did not make available of specialized labor to assure the successful execution of a work such as this, a financing of 750,000 pound sterlings was made along with the English government.

– The construction inspired Adoniram Barbosa to compose a song entitled “Viaduto de Santa Efigênia” [Overpass of Saint Ephigenia], whose refrain went: “Venha ver / Venha ver Eugênia / Como ficou bonito / O Viaduto Santa Efigênia (Come and see / Come and see Eugene / How she turned out lovely / The Overpass of Saint Efigenia).”

– From here, one can have a beautiful view of the Anhangabaú Valley and the historical constructions that surrounded it, like the Edifício dos Correios [Post Office Building], Edifício Alexandre Mackenzie [Alexandre Mackenzie Building], Viaduto do Chá [Tea Overpass], Edifício Altino Arantes [Altino Arantes Building] and many others.

+ Information
Follow!

Address: Viaduto Santa Ifigênia connects Largo São Bento to Largo Santa Ifigênia – República.